What to do when you lose your Passport in Spain
In case you have the unfortunate circumstances of losing your Passport in Spain, and you have a flight to catch to leave the country, here is what you need to do:
1. You need to file a police report with the National Police (Policia National) not the local police. If you so happen to be in Alicante, Spain, they are located here: C/ Médico Pascual Pérez, 33 – 35. This is a major hassle and will throw salt in your Game, but having the police report will make things easier. Hopefully, you will also have a copy of your lost Passport.
2. You need to get either to Barcelona (Paseo Reina Elisenda de Montcada, 23, 08034 Barcelona) or Madrid (C/ SERRANO, 75, 28006 Madrid). Valencia has a Consulate as well, but they are closed now. I went to Barcelona, because I know the city better. The consolate is about 11km from the airport. Or about 15 min in cab.
3. Hop on flight to Barcelona (or Madrid). The police report will allow you to get on the flight.
4. Get your bags and throw them in the consegnas or storage lockers. This is in I think Terminal one. It costs about 5.40 euros for 24 hours. Make sure you keep your ticket safe.
5. Hope in a cab to The US Consulate in Barcelona. Grease the cab driver to make sure you get there before 1pm. This is key. And stupid that they close at 1pm. I mean, its not like it’s important, right? They are also open only Monday – Friday (9am to 1pm).
6. Roll over to Consulate. They actually are pretty helpful. If there is no line, they can get you an emergency Passport in one hour. You might need to show proof that you have a flight out of the country. Make sure you bring it. It will cost $135 dollars plus 4 euros for Passport photos. You can pay the $135 with credit card. You need cash (monedas) for the photos.
7. In an hour or so, you have your emergency Passport. Pure stoke.
8. Make sure you check out Monastery de Pedralbes and The Güell Pavilions by Antonio Gaudi, as both are in walking distance of the Consulate. This will help make your trip to Barcelona worthwhile.
9. Get a Catalan grind on.
10. Hop in a cab back to airport.
11. Get your luggage out of the consegnas.
12. You are back in action. Commence swooping girls at Barcelona airport. There will be tons.
The Rest is Up to You…
Michael Porfirio Mason
AKA The Peoples Champ
AKA GFK, Jr.
AKA The Sly, Slick and the Wicked
AKA The Voodoo Child
The Guide to Getting More out of Life
Volver – Estrella Morente